You may print and keep this checklist as a reminder of what forms you have filed and when you filed them. This is for your reference and should not be submitted with your application forms. You should also keep a copy of all application forms submitted.
Online Form 1 - Application for Licensure
All applicants for licensure must initially submit Form 1 along with the appropriate licensure and first registration fee. You must answer all questions and provide all information requested unless otherwise indicated. Failure to accurately complete all required parts of the application will delay its review. Additional forms below are required based on the licensure requirements of the profession. Do not use Form 1 to renew your existing license.
Continuing Your Application
If you have started an application within the past 30 days, and have not yet completed it, you can use this link to continue your application. You will need your Application ID, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth.
Upload Additional Documentation
If you have already completed an application, but you have additional documents or files to include in your previous submission, use this link to upload additional documentation. You will need your Application ID and Date of Birth.
Change Address or Name - You are required to notify us within 30 days of any address or name changes. Please read the instructions to request this change.
Form 1EIT - Application for Engineer in Training Certificate
Use this form to apply for a New York State Engineer in Training Certificate. Qualifications for New York State Engineer in Training Certificate may be found on our web site under License Requirements.
Applicants must complete this form and submit it with the appropriate fee ($70 only) directly to the Office of the Professions at the mailing address at the end of the Form. Make checks payable to the New York State Education Department. NOTE: Your cancelled check is your receipt.
Change Address or Name You are required to notify us within 30 days of any address or name changes. Please read the instructions to request this change.
Form 2 - Certification of Professional Education
This form must be submitted directly by the educational institution. The Office of the Professions will not accept this form if submitted by the applicant.
- Section I: Complete this section and be sure to sign and date item 9.
- Section II: Send this to the educational institution(s) you attended and ask that they return it directly to the Office of the Professions.
Please note: If you attended or graduated from a program that is NOT ABET-accredited and/or if you attended a graduate program, ask your school to attach an official transcript or marksheet.
Form 3 - Verification of Out-of-State Licensure, Registration and/or Examination
This form must be submitted directly by the licensing authority.
Use this form to
- verify that you passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination prior to October 2010. For FE examinations taken October 2010 and after, your examination results will automatically be verified through the NCEES system by the New York State Education Department.
- verify that you passed the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) examination in another jurisdiction.
- verify licensure and current registration in another jurisdiction.
- Section I: Complete this section and be sure to sign and date item 8.
- Section II: Send this to the jurisdiction(s) in which you are licensed or wish to have examination grades transferred from and ask that they complete this section and return the form directly to the Office of the Professions.
Note: A Form 3 is not required for licenses/certificates issued by the New York State Education Department. Also, If the certification/verification documentation provided by a U.S. jurisdictions contains the same information requested on the Form 3, completion of a Form 3 for that jurisdiction is not necessary. If the certification/verification documentation does not contain the same information as the Form 3, a Form 3 will need to be completed for that jurisdiction.
If you are applying for New York State Licensure using the NCEES record, this form is not required.
Form 4 - Report of Professional Experience
The Department will not accept professional experience endorsed by the applicant.
Instructions For Completing Report of Professional Experience and Verification of Professional Experience 4 and 4A | PDF. See these instructions for additional information to document your engineering experience.
Form 4A - Verification of Professional Experience
- The Department will not accept professional experience endorsed by the applicant.
- Instructions For Completing Report of Professional Experience and Verification of Professional Experience 4 and 4A | PDF ( 19 KB). See these instructions for additional information to document your engineering experience.
Please note: Section II of Form 4A must be typed or printed legibly, if typed, be sure to use a font size of 10 or greater as smaller fonts create difficulty for reviewers and will slow the review of your application. Also, a completed Form 4A must be submitted directly to the Office of the Professions by the endorser in an envelope bearing the endorser’s return address or company address. This form will not be accepted if submitted by the applicant.
Form 5 - Notification of Intent to Practice Professional Engineering Under Section 7208(b) of Education Law
Endorsement Applicants only
Use this form only if you wish to engage in interim practice while your application for licensure is being reviewed and you:
- are not a resident of New York State, or
- have no established place of practice in this State, or
- are a resident of this State, but have arrived only within the past six months
You must have filed an application for licensure as a professional engineer in New York and must be legally qualified to practice in the state or country in which you currently reside or have a place of practice, or in your previous residence or place of practice. Interim practice will only be approved for a limited time to allow the Department time to review your application for licensure. If you are approved to practice for an interim period, you will not be allowed to claim or in any way state that you are providing services as a professional engineer licensed in New York State.
Form 20F - Certification of of a Professionally Registered Program in Engineering
This form is for use by New York State Institutions/Schools only. Not to be used by individuals. This form must be submitted directly by the educational institution. The Office of Professions will not accept this form if submitted by the applicant.
For use by New York State Institutions with EAC/ABET accredited programs in engineering only. This form may be used by schools in lieu of individual Form 2s for students who have graduated from an EAC/ABET baccalaureate program in engineering that qualifies them, after successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination, for a Certificate as an "Intern Engineer".