Skip to main content
Welcome to the Office of the Professions’ newly redesigned website. Portions of this site may still be under development, so if you experience any issues or have any questions please submit a Website Feedback Form.
  • NYSED Homepage
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact Us
  • NYSED Employment
  • Board Members Only

The Department may issue a restricted dental faculty license to a full-time faculty member employed at an approved New York State school of dentistry. A restricted dental faculty license authorizes the holder to practice dentistry, as defined in Article 133 of New York's Education Law, but such practice of dentistry must be limited to the school's facilities or the school's clinics, or facilities or clinics with relationships to the school confirmed by formal affiliation agreements. A restricted dental faculty license does not authorize the holder to engage in the private practice of dentistry at any other site.

To receive a restricted dental faculty license in New York State you must:

  • be of good moral character;
  • be at least 18 years of age;
  • meet educational requirements; and
  • meet experience requirements.

You must file an Application for Licensure (Form 1) and the other forms indicated, along with the appropriate fee, to the Office of the Professions at the address specified on each form. It is your responsibility to follow up with anyone you have asked to send us material.

The specific requirements for licensure are contained in Title 8, Article 133, section 6604-b of New York's Education Law.

You should also read the general licensing information applicable for all professions.

The fee for a restricted dental faculty license and first registration is $645.

Fees are subject to change. The fee due is the one in law when your application is received (unless fees are increased retroactively). You will be billed for the difference if fees have been increased.

  • Do not send cash.
  • If you apply for licensure electronically using the online Application for Licensure, you will be required to pay by credit card.
  • Other payments must be made by personal check or money order payable to the New York State Education Department. Your cancelled check is your receipt.
  • Mail any required forms and fees to the indicated address on the form.

NOTE: Payment submitted from outside the United States should be made by check or draft on a United States bank and in United States currency; payments submitted in any other form will not be accepted and will be returned.

Individuals who withdraw their licensure application may be entitled to a partial refund.

  • For the procedure to withdraw your application, contact the Dentistry Unit by e-mail at or by calling 518-474-3817 ext. 270 or by fax at 518-402-5354.
  • The State Education Department is not responsible for any fees paid to an outside testing or credentials verification agency.

If you withdraw your application, obtain a refund, and then decide to seek New York State licensure at a later date, you will be considered a new applicant, and you will be required to pay the licensure fee and meet the licensure requirements in place at the time you reapply.

To meet the education requirements for a restricted dental faculty license, you must provide evidence of the completion of at least six academic years of pre-professional and professional education which includes but is not limited to:

  1. courses in general chemistry, organic chemistry, biology or zoology and physics; and
  2. at least four academic years of professional dental education satisfactory to the Department culminating in a degree, diploma or certificate in dentistry recognized by the appropriate civil authorities of the jurisdiction in which the school is located as acceptable for entry into practice in the jurisdiction in which the school is located.

The Department must receive certification of your education directly from the school(s) that you attended using the Certification of Professional Education (Form 2).

In addition to the pre-professional and professional education requirement, every applicant for restricted dental faculty licensure must complete coursework or training in the identification and reporting of child abuse in accordance with Section 6507(3)(a) of the Education Law. You must submit a certificate of completion from an approved provider or file a certification of exemption before a New York State license can be issued. See additional information and a list of approved providers for this training. You may be eligible for exemption from the training if you can document, to the satisfaction of the Department, that your practice does not involve professional contact with persons under the age of 18 and that you do not have contact with persons 18 or older with a handicapping condition who reside in a residential care school or facility.

You must also complete approved coursework or training appropriate to your practice regarding infection control and barrier precautions in accordance with Section 6505-b of the Education Law, including engineering and work practice controls, to prevent the transmission of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and the hepatitis b virus (HBV) in the course of professional practice. Graduates from New York State dentistry programs after September 1, 1993 are credited with having completed this coursework as part of their dentistry program. All other applicants must submit an attestation of compliance with or exemption from the infection control coursework requirement (Form 1IC) within 90 days of your date of licensure. See additional information and a list of approved providers for this training.

To meet the experience requirements for a restricted dental faculty license, you must:

  1. provide evidence that, within the last five years, you have at least two years of satisfactory practice as a dentist. The Department must receive verification of your experience directly from a dentist licensed and in good standing using the Affidavit of Professional Practice (Form 4).


  2. provide evidence that you have satisfactorily completed an advanced education program in general dentistry or in a dental specialty, provided such program is accredited by an organization accepted by the Department as a reliable authority for the purpose of accrediting such programs (such as the Commission on Dental Accreditation). The Department must receive verification from the institutions(s) where you completed the program using the Certification of Completion of Advanced Education Program (Form 4A).

To qualify for a restricted dental faculty license, you must be employed as a full-time faculty member (devoting at least four full working days per week in teaching or patient care, research or administrative duties) at the dental school where you are going to practice dentistry.

Along with your initial application, and yearly thereafter, the Department must receive notification from the Dean of the dental school that you are employed full time at the dental school using a Verification of Full-Time Employment (Form 4B).

If you cease to be employed as a full-time faculty member at an approved New York State school of dentistry, your license/registration will no longer be valid.

Both you and the Dean of the school where you are employed must notify the Department within thirty days if you are terminated from full-time employment.