A limited permit allows a graduate of a dental college who has satisfied the education requirements for licensure in this State to practice dentistry only under the supervision of a New York State licensed dentist and only in:
- a registered school of dentistry or dental hygiene to instruct and supervise clinical dentistry or dental hygiene for students in that school and to practice dentistry only on the premises of that registered school or premises used for instruction; OR
- a hospital or dental facility approved by an appropriate agency and under the direction or supervision of a licensed dentist. No permit shall be issued or renewed unless you have a bonafide offer of a position in that hospital or dental facility, which has an accredited dental residency program.
A supervising dentist shall be present on the premises at all times when professional services are being rendered by a limited permit holder and will exercise supervision appropriate to the circumstances, according to Section 6605 (1) of the New York State Education Law. You may not begin practice until a limited permit has been issued.
To apply for a limited permit, you must submit, or have submitted on your behalf, the following:
- Application for Limited Permit (Form 5) with the limited permit fee of $105;
- Certification of Professional Education (Form 2) verifying that you meet New York State's education requirements*;
- a certificate of completion or a certificate of exemption for the child abuse identification and reporting training; and
- If licensed in another jurisdiction, Verification of Other Professional Licensure/Certification (Form 3).
NOTE: You do not have to file an Application for Licensure (Form 1). The limited permit cannot be issued until the Department has approved your education and has received all required documentation.
Your limited permit is valid for one year or until ten days after you are notified that your application for licensure was denied. A limited permit which has not expired may be renewed for one year. If you are serving in a residency program in a hospital, annual renewals are available until your residency is completed. To renew your limited permit for an additional year, you must submit a new Form 5 with the $105 fee.
*NOTE: For limited permits only, tentative completion dates may be accepted provided all requirements for graduation have been met; however, an updated Form 2 will need to be submitted when applying for licensure.