Skip to main content
Welcome to the Office of the Professions’ newly redesigned website. Portions of this site may still be under development, so if you experience any issues or have any questions please submit a Website Feedback Form.
  • NYSED Homepage
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact Us
  • NYSED Employment
  • Board Members Only
Icon for the answer

Licensure by endorsement is a streamlined application process that is available to individuals who are:

  • Licensed in another state that has significantly comparable licensing requirements to New York State (see list of significantly comparable states); and
  • have at least 4 years of acceptable accounting, tax, financial or management advisory experience since their initial license was issued and within the last 10 years;

If you cannot certify 4 years of acceptable post licensure experience, you are not eligible for licensure by endorsement and must apply as an applicant for initial licensure. If your initial CPA license was issued by a state that does not have significantly comparable licensure requirements to New York State, you will need to submit all of the documentation required of an applicant for initial licensure so that the Education Department can determine whether your personal qualifications are substantially similar to New York State' licensing requirements.

Icon for the answer

To apply for licensure by endorsement you must submit:

  • Form 1 - Application for Licensure and First Registration along with the $427 fee; and
  • Verification of your licensure status from the State in which you were initially licensed, and if it is different, the state of your current principal place of business. We will accept a printout of another state's online license verification if it provides your initial date of licensure, license number and indicates whether there has been any disciplinary action taken against your license. If the state(s) in which you are licensed do not provide this information through online verification you must have the Board for Accountancy in that state complete and submit a Certification of Out of State Licensure and Examination Scores (Form 3); and
  • Form 4B - Certification of Employer completed and submitted by the CPA who supervised 4 years of post-licensure experience within the last 10 years. Please see the instructions for completing form 4B for details on acceptable self-certification of experience.