Acceptable continuing education activities include:
- Taking a CPE course from a NYS-registered CPE provider.
- Taking a CPE course from a NASBA-registered CPE provider.
- Taking a CPE course from a CPE provider registered by the State Board for Accountancy in the state in which the course is taken.
The Board maintains a list of NYS approved sponsors: Click here for the listing of New York State-registered CPE providers.
NASBA maintains their own list of approved providers: Click here for the listing of the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) registered CPE providers. Other State Boards maintain their own listings.
To be acceptable, the ethics course must focus on professional ethics. The Board maintains a list of NYS approved ethics sponsors: Click here for the listing of New York State-registered CPE ethics providers. New York State will not accept behavioral ethics as a substitute for professional ethics. Behavioral ethics will be categorized in the Advisory Services subject area.
If NY State is your principal place of business, only an ethics course that is approved by NYSED is acceptable.
If you are only licensed in NY State, only an ethics course that is approved by NYSED is acceptable.
If your principal place of business is outside NY State, and you are licensed in that state, an ethics course that is provided by any of the following will meet this requirement:
- A NY State-registered CPE sponsor that is approved to provide ethics courses.
- A NASBA-approved CPE sponsor.
- A sponsor that is approved by the licensing authority of the state which is your principal place of business.