Online Form 1 - Application for Licensure
All applicants for licensure must initially submit Form 1 along with the appropriate licensure and first registration fee. You must answer all questions and provide all information requested unless otherwise indicated. Failure to accurately complete all required parts of the application will delay its review. Additional forms below are required based on the licensure requirements of the profession. Do not use Form 1 to renew your existing license.
Continuing Your Application
If you have started an application within the past 30 days, and have not yet completed it, you can use this link to continue your application. You will need your Application ID, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth.
Upload Additional Documentation
If you have already completed an application, but you have additional documents or files to include in your previous submission, use this link to upload additional documentation. You will need your Application ID and Date of Birth.
Change Address or Name - You are required to notify us within 30 days of any address or name changes. Please read the instructions to request this change.
Form 1ILS - Application for Intern Land Surveyor Certificate
Use this form to apply for a New York State Engineer in Training Certificate. Qualifications for New York State Engineer in Training Certificate may be found on our web site under License Requirements.
Applicants must complete this form and submit it with the appropriate fee ($70 only) directly to the Office of the Professions at the mailing address at the end of the Form. Make checks payable to the New York State Education Department. NOTE: Your cancelled check is your receipt.
Change Address or Name You are required to notify us within 30 days of any address or name changes. Please read the instructions to request this change.
Form 2 - Certification of Professional Education
This form must be submitted directly by the educational institution(s) you attended. The Office of the Professions will not accept this form if submitted by the applicant.
You must at least document your high school graduation.
- Section l: Complete this section of the form before sending the entire form to your school. Be sure to sign and date item 10.
- Section ll: The Registrar or appropriate school official must complete the appropriate parts of this section and return both pages of the form directly to the Office of the Professions at the mailing address on the form.
If your associate or baccalaureate degree program was in surveying, surveying engineering, surveying engineering technology, or a similar surveying-related title and was accredited by ABET at the time of your graduation or within one year thereafter for land surveying, the Registrar must complete Parts B and C.
(NOTE: For applicants applying to take Part 1 of the licensing examination based on education only, such a program must be at the baccalaureate level and they must have either graduated from or be within 20 semester hours of graduating from the program.)
If your educational program does not fit the criteria in the preceding paragraph, the Registrar must complete Parts A and C. Remind the school that they must attach an official transcript or marksheet of your studies.
When studies were completed at more than one school, official records need to be sent to the Department from each school. Please photocopy the form as needed.
Form 3 - Verification of Out-of-State Licensure, Registration and/or Examination
Use this form only if you are or have been licensed as a land surveyor in another jurisdiction or if you want to verify that you passed the Fundamentals of Land Surveying Examination and/or the Principles and Practice of Land Surveying examination in another jurisdiction.
If applying for 7208(b) Interim practice, verification of licensure from your current jurisdiction of residence is required.
This form must be submitted directly by the licensing authority. The Office of the Professions will not accept this form if submitted by the applicant.
- Section I: Complete this section before sending the entire form to each appropriate licensing authority. Be sure to sign and date item 8.
- Section II: The licensing authority must complete this section, sign, date and return all pages of the form directly to the Office of the Professions at the address at the end of the form.
Note: A Form 3 is not required for licenses/certificates issued by the New York State Education Department. Also, If the certification/verification documentation provided by a U.S. jurisdictions contains the same information requested in the Form 3, completion of a Form 3 for that jurisdiction is not necessary. For certification/verification documentation that does not contain the same information, a Form 3 will need to be completed for that jurisdiction.
Please photocopy this form as needed.
Form 4 - Report of Professional Experience
Complete and send both pages of this form directly to the Office of the Professions at the address at the end of the form. List all experience that you wish to be evaluated for licensure. Your experience must be listed in chronological order beginning with your first employment for which experience is being claimed, and include firm name, name of endorser, beginning and ending dates, and total time claimed for each endorser. The Department will not accept professional experience endorsed by the applicant. Be sure to sign and date item 7.
You must also complete a separate Form 4A for every employer you list on this form. Your application will not be reviewed by the Board until a Form 4A for every employer listed has been received.
When an endorsement does not lend credibility to your experience, it may be discounted at the judgement of the Board. A Form 4A that is not endorsed will not receive any credit towards licensure.
Form 4A - Verification of Professional Experience
- The Department will not accept professional experience endorsed by the applicant. This form must be submitted directly by the endorser. The Office of the Professions will not accept this form if submitted by the applicant.
- Sections I and II: Complete these sections, in parts A and B of Section II, list your experience in a comprehensive, detailed, and explicit manner. Be sure to sign and date the attestation at the end of Section II before giving the entire form to the licensed land surveyor who will verify your experience. Descriptions must be specific about your personal contributions to land surveying projects to which you were assigned. Avoid terms like "...participated in...," "...involved with...," or similar generalities. State your exact duties. Your personal surveying work must be described in reasonable detail. Regardless of the total time claimed on a single sheet, you must break the total time down in segments, each of which describes one kind of work you have performed. For each segment, provide a detailed description of your personal activities that would allow the State Board to properly evaluate that work. Remember to indicate in the time column the total time you spent on each specific kind of work. Attach additional sheets if necessary.
- Section III: The Department will not accept professional experience endorsed by the applicant. The licensed land surveyor who will verify your experience must complete this section, sign the attestation endorsing your professional experience before returning all pages of this form directly to the Office of the Professions at the address at the end of the form. The endorser's signature on Form 4A must be notarized by a Notary Public.
A separate Form 4A must be submitted for each instance of professional experience you list on the Report of Professional Experience form (Form 4). Your application will not be reviewed by the Board until a Form 4A for every employer listed has been received. The Department will not accept professional experience endorsed by the applicant.
Form 5 - Notification of Intent to Practice Land Surveying under Section 7208(b) of Education Law
- (for Endorsement Candidates only) (12 KB)
- Use this form only if you wish to engage in interim practice while your application for licensure is being reviewed and you:
- are not a resident of New York State;
- have no established place of practice in this State, or
- are a resident of this State, but have arrived only within the past six months
You must have filed an application for licensure as a land surveyor in New York and must be legally qualified to practice in the jurisdiction in which you currently reside or have a place of practice, or in your previous residence or place of practice (a Verification of Out-Of-State Licensure, Registration and/or Examination form must be submitted to verify this license/current registration). Interim practice will only be approved for a limited time to allow the Department time to review your application for licensure. If you are approved to practice for an interim period, you will not be allowed to claim or in any way state that you are providing services as a land surveyor licensed in New York State.