Skip to main content
Welcome to the Office of the Professions’ newly redesigned website. Portions of this site may still be under development, so if you experience any issues or have any questions please submit a Website Feedback Form.
  • NYSED Homepage
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact Us
  • NYSED Employment
  • Board Members Only

Certification Requirements for Certified Behavior Analyst Assistants

Any use of the title "certified behavior analyst assistant" within New York State requires certification.

You must submit an Application for Certification (Form 1) and the other forms indicated, along with the appropriate fee, to the Office of the Professions at the address specified on each form. It is your responsibility to follow up with anyone you have asked to send us material.

The specific requirements for licensure/certification are contained in Section 8804 of New York's Education Law and Subpart 79-17 of the Commissioner's Regulations.

You should also read the general licensing information applicable for all professions.

  • The fee for certification and first registration as a certified behavior analyst assistant is $225.
  • The fee for a limited permit for a certified behavior analyst assistant is $70 (the limited permit fee is not refundable).

The fees listed are the fees in place when this page was posted. Fees are subject to change. The fee due is the one in law when your application is received (unless fees are increased retroactively). You will be billed for the difference if fees have been increased.

  • Do not send cash.
  • Make your personal check or money order payable to the New York State Education Department. Your cancelled check is your receipt.
  • Mail your application and fee to:

NYS Education Department
Office of the Professions
P.O. Box 22063
Albany, NY 12201

NOTE: Payment submitted from outside the United States should be made by check or draft on a United States bank and in United States currency; payments submitted in any other form will not be accepted and will be returned.

Individuals who withdraw their licensure/certification application may be entitled to a partial refund.

  • For the procedure to withdraw your application, contact the Applied Behavior Analysis Unit at or by calling 518-474-3817 ext. 592 or by fax at 518-402-2323.
  • The State Education Department is not responsible for any fees paid to an outside testing or credentials verification agency.

If you withdraw your application, obtain a refund, and then decide to seek New York State licensure/certification at a later date, you will be considered a new applicant, and you will be required to pay the licensure/certification application and registration fees and meet the licensure/certification requirements in place at the time you reapply.

There were two pathways to certified behavior analyst assistants.

Pathway One (Grandparenting provisions - No Longer Available): This Pathway was available for applicants for certification as a certified behavior analyst assistant, who submitted an application to the Department before January 9, 2016 and met other specified requirements.

Although Pathway One has expired, the certifications issued under it will not.

Note: Although evidence of completion of the required training on the Identification and Reporting of Child Abuse and Maltreatment was not required for a certification to be issued under this pathway, evidence of such training will be required at the time of registration renewal when the initial three-year registration is due to expire.

Pathway Two (standard licensing provisions): Unlike Pathway One, this pathway does not expire. Applicants may be certified as certified behavior analyst assistants if they meet the following requirements established by section 8804 of New York's Education Law and Subpart 79-17 of the Commissioner's Regulations.

  • Submit an Application for Certification (Form 1)
  • Submit the certification and registration required fee established for certified behavior analyst assistants
  • Education: Submit a Certification of Professional Education (Form 2) to document that you have received an education, including a bachelor's or higher degree for a certified behavior analyst assistant from a program registered by the Department or determined by the Department to be substantially equivalent to such a program, in accordance with the Commissioner's Regulations
  • Experience: Submit a Report of Professional Experience (Form 4) to document that you have experience in the practice of applied behavior analysis satisfactory to the Board and Department in accordance with the Commissioner's Regulations
  • Examination: Pass an examination acceptable to the Board and the Department in accordance with the Commissioner's Regulations
  • Child Abuse Training: Submit evidence of completing coursework or training in the Identification and Reporting of Child Abuse and Maltreatment in accordance with Section 6507(3)(a) of the Education Law. See additional information and a list of approved providers for this training.
  • Age: Be at least 21 years of age by the date of certification
  • Moral Character: be of good moral character as determined by the Department and submit an attestation of moral character

Answers to questions regarding the process of licensure, certification and practice in these professions can be found on our web site.

A limited permit authorizes practice of applied behavior analysis under the supervision of an appropriately licensed professional, who is authorized to practice applied behavior analysis. For certified behavior analyst assistant applicants, their supervisor must be a licensed behavior analyst. You must meet all requirements for certification as a certified behavior analyst assistant except for the licensing examination and/or professional experience requirements.

You may apply for a limited permit by submitting the Application for Limited Permit (Form 5) and limited permit fee of $70 at the same time or any time after you submit your Application for Licensure/Certification (Form 1) with the required fee. If you change supervisors or have additional supervisors after a permit is issued, you must obtain a re-issued permit. Complete a new Form 5 for each prospective supervisor, and return it to the Office of the Professions. A new fee is not required for a permit issued as a result of a change in supervisor. Limited permits expire one year from the date of issue and may be renewed for one additional year for good cause as determined by the Department.

NOTE: Your application for licensure, the initial certification fee, and all other required documentation, including evidence of completing department-approved coursework or training in the identification and reporting of child abuse, must be received and approved before a limited permit can be issued.