Optometrists in New York State with the phase one therapeutic pharmaceutical agents (TPA1) privilege ("U") and/or the phase two therapeutic pharmaceutical agents (TPA2) privilege ("V") are required to complete 36 contact hours of continuing education in each three-year registration period.
Specific requirements for continuing education for optometrists are contained in Article 143 of New York's Education Law.
Continuing Education: Who is Required to Take it and Why?
4. If I have the Diagnostic Pharmaceutical Agent privilege, am I required to take continuing education courses?
5. I recently graduated and received my license and am in my first registration period. Do I need to begin taking continuing education immediately?
6. I just received my registration and it is less than three years in length. Am I still expected to complete the total number of continuing education hours required for my profession?
7. I just received my certification to prescribe therapeutic pharmaceutical agents, but my registration expires soon. Do I still need to complete 36 hours of continuing education?
8. I am licensed in New York State and I do not have either TPA certification, but my registration is inactive. Do I need to complete continuing education before I can reactivate my registration?
9. I am licensed in New York State with "U & V" Privileges but my registration is inactive because I am practicing my profession in another jurisdiction. Do I need to complete continuing education before I can reactivate my New York State registration?
Continuing Education Hours
12. If I complete more hours than required during the registration period, can I use them toward the hours required in my next registration period?
Continuing Education Courses and Acceptable Subject Areas
16. I wanted to take a course relating to LASIK surgery, but it does not appear to be in the category of pharmacology or ocular disease. Would this course count toward my CE requirement?
Continuing Education Sponsors
Recordkeeping, Reporting and Audits
21. Do I have to send these continuing education records to the State Education Department's State Board for Optometry when I renew my registration?
Other Relevant Information
Contact for Further Information
Lasted Updated: May 22, 2017