These Questions and Answers are offered as a matter of general guidelines and do not carry the force of law. You should also review the actual statute and regulations. Application forms and instructions are available on this site; please see the links on the left. NOTE: The Department cannot determine whether or not applicants have the necessary qualifications for licensure over the phone or through e-mail. We will carefully review your qualifications only after we receive your application, fee, and all necessary documentation directly from the education program.
Social Work Licensure & Practice
7. If I am licensed in another jurisdiction can I practice licensed master social work or licensed clinical social work in New York under that license?
8. I have many years of experience in social work, including credentials and licensure in other jurisdictions. Is there reciprocity or any way my qualifications can substitute for the requirements in New York?
9. What are the requirements for a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in another jurisdiction with 10 years of licensed experience to be licensed by endorsement in New York?
10. If I am a LMSW and providing clinical social work services under supervision, does the supervisor have to be on-site?
11. If my employer does not provide a qualified supervisor can I contract with a qualified supervisor outside the agency for private supervision?
15. If I provide case management, school social work, discharge planning, counseling, and client advocacy can I qualify for licensure as an LCSW?
21. I have never done well on multiple-choice tests and want to know if I can be licensed without having to pass an examination?
22. I have attempted and failed the ASWB examination; is it possible my score would qualify for licensure in another jurisdiction?
23. I am licensed as an LMSW and as an LCSW. I received a renewal notice for my LMSW but my LCSW is still valid, what should I do?
If you have questions not addressed above, you may contact the office of the State Board for Social Work, at 518-474-3817, ext. 450; or e-mail SWBD@nysed.gov.
Last Updated: February 14, 2020