Certification Requirements: Nurse Practitioner

General Requirements | Fees | Partial Refunds | Address or Name Changes | Education and Experience Requirements | Additional Requirements

General Requirements

You must be certified and registered as a nurse practitioner (NP) by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) in order to practice as an NP in New York.

NYSED certifies NPs to practice in the following specialty practice areas: Acute Care, Adult Health, College Health, Community Health, Family Health, Gerontology, Holistic Care, Neonatology, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Oncology, Pediatrics, Palliative Care, Perinatology, Psychiatry, School Health, and Women's Health.

To become certified and registered by NYSED as an NP, you must:

  • be currently registered and licensed as a registered professional nurse (RN) in New York State;
  • have graduated from a nurse practitioner education program acceptable to NYSED or be certified as a nurse practitioner by a national certifying organization acceptable to NYSED;
  • complete pharmacology coursework acceptable to NYSED; and
  • apply for nurse practitioner certification with NYSED.

You may download NP application forms and instructions for completing the forms from this website. You must mail these forms by regular mail to the NYSED at the address indicated on the form. When you apply for NP certification with NYSED, it is your responsibility to have all required documents and information sent to NYSED.

You are allowed to be certified as an NP in more than one specialty practice area. However, you must file a separate application and pay an additional fee to NYSED for each NP specialty practice area in which you seek certification. In addition, you must also meet the professional study, experience and other criteria applicable to each NP specialty practice area in which you seek certification.

After you have met all requirements for NP certification in a specialty area, NYSED will issue you an NP certificate and a registration certificate.

  • Your NP certification is valid for life, unless it is revoked, annulled or suspended by the New York State Board of Regents.
  • Your NP registration certificate will authorize you to practice as a NP for 3 years. You must renew your NP registration and your RN registration with NYSED in order to continue practicing as a nurse practitioner. You are not legally allowed to provide nurse practitioner services while your NP or your RN registration is expired.

Laws that govern NP certification include Education Law §6910 and 8 NYCRR Part 64.

You should also read the general licensing information applicable for all professions.


The fee for certification and initial registration to practice as a nurse practitioner (NP) in each specialty practice area is $85. ($50 certificate application fee plus a $35 fee for initial registration.)

Fees are subject to change. The fee due is the one in law when your application is received (unless fees are increased retroactively). You will be billed for the difference if fees have been increased.

  • Do not send cash.
  • If you apply for licensure electronically using the online Application for Licensure, you will be required to pay by credit card.
  • Other payments must be made by personal check or money order payable to the New York State Education Department. Your cancelled check is your receipt.
  • Mail any required forms and fees to the indicated address on the form.

NOTE: Payment submitted from outside the United States should be made by check or draft on a United States bank and in United States currency; payments submitted in any other form will not be accepted and will be returned.

Partial Refunds

Individuals who withdraw their licensure application any time prior to a determination may be entitled to a partial refund.

  • For the procedure to withdraw your application, contact the Nurse Practitioner unit at opunit4@nysed.gov or by calling 518-474-3817 ext. 280 or by fax at 518-474-3398.
  • The State Education Department is not responsible for any fees paid to an outside testing or credentials verification agency.

If you withdraw your application, obtain a refund, and then decide to seek New York State certification at a later date, you will be considered a new applicant, and you will be required to pay the certification and registration fees and meet the certification requirements in place at the time of reapplication.

Address or Name Changes

If your mailing address or name changes, you must contact the Department to update your records and provide the following information: your full name, social security number, profession and date of birth. Failure to provide the Department with your change of address or name will delay processing your application.

For address changes you may phone, fax or e-mail:

Phone 518-474-3817 ext. 280
Fax 518-474-3398
E-mail opunit4@nysed.gov

For name changes a fax or e-mail is not acceptable. You must provide written notification of any name change with supporting documentation to:

NYS Education Department, Office of the Professions
Division of Professional Licensing Services
Nurse Practitioner Unit
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234-1000

NOTE: Once you are licensed, Education Law requires that you notify the Department of any change in your mailing address or name within 30 days of that change. Failure to do so may be considered professional misconduct. It may also delay renewal and result in late charges to renew the registration of your professional license. You may use our address or name change form ( PDF 20 KB) to notify the Department of a change in your address or name.

Education and Experience Requirements for Nurse Practitioners (NPs)

If you are applying to be certified as an NP, you must provide to the New York State Education Department (NYSED) satisfactory evidence of:

  1. having completed pharmacology coursework acceptable to NYSED; and,
  2. having met applicable professional study and experience requirements acceptable to NYSED.

Professional Study and Experience Criteria

To satisfy the professional education and experience requirements for certification as an NP, you must meet the criteria in one of the paragraphs (A, or B) below.

  1. You must graduate from an education program registered by NYSED as qualifying for NP certification or an education program that is determined by NYSED to be the equivalent to an NP education program registered by NYSED.


  2. You must obtain certification as an NP by one of the following national certifying organizations:

    American Academy of Nurse Practitioner Certification Board (AANPCB)
    P.O. Box 12926
    Austin, TX 78711
    Phone 512-637-0500
    Web www.aanpcert.org

    American Association of Critical Care Nurses
    101 Columbia
    Aliso Viejo, CA 92656-4109
    Phone: 800-599-2226
    Web www.aacn.org
    (certification for adult nurse practitioners)

    American Nurses Credentialing Center
    Attn: Verification Specialist
    P.O. Box 791321
    Baltimore, MD 21279-1321
    Web nursingworld.org/ancc/

    National Board for Certification of Hospice and Palliative Nurses
    One Penn Center West
    Pittsburgh, Pa 15276-0100
    Phone 412-787-1057
    E-mail nbchpn@hpna.org

    National Certification Corporation
    (Formerly NAACOG)
    P.O. Box 11082
    Chicago, IL 60611-0082
    Phone 312-951-0207
    Web www.nccnet.org
    (Certification for women's health, neonatal and gynecologic/reproductive nurse practitioners.)

    Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation
    125 Enterprise Drive
    Pittsburgh, PA 15275
    Phone 877-769-6622
    Web www.oncc.org

    Pediatric Nursing Certification Board
    800 South Frederick Avenue, Suite 204
    Gaithersburg, MD 20877-4152
    Phone 301-330-2921 or 888-641-2767
    Web www.pncb.org

Pharmacology Coursework Requirements

If you recently graduated from an education program registered by NYSED as qualifying for NP certification, you have already completed NYSED’s pharmacology coursework requirement as part of your studies, and you do not have to take additional pharmacology coursework.

If you did not graduate from an education program registered by NYSED as qualifying for NP certification, you must satisfy the pharmacology coursework requirement by demonstrating to NYSED that you have:

  • completed at least three semester hours (or the equivalent) of pharmacology coursework, which covered drug management of clients in the NP specialty practice area in which you wish to practice as well as New York and federal laws relating to prescriptions and record keeping; or
  • completed an educational program or a combination of courses which is the substantial equivalent in content and scope to the pharmacology course listed above; or
  • passed an examination in pharmacotherapeutics acceptable to NYSED; or
  • passed a nationally recognized examination acceptable for licensure in New York State as a physician assistant or for certification as a nurse midwife.

NOTE:If you did not graduate from an in-state NYSED registered NP program, you must complete coursework on New York and Federal Laws Governing Prescriptions and Record Keeping.  The following organizations offer this coursework online:

The Nurse Practitioner Association of New York State
12 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065
Phone 518-348-0719
Web www.thenpa.org

The New York State Nurses Association
11 Cornell Road
Latham, NY, 12210-1499
Phone 518-782-9400 ext. 288
Web www.nysna.org
Online course New York Prescribing Information for Nurse Practitioners

Additional Requirements

After being certified and registered as a nurse practitioner (NP) by the New York State Education Department (NYSED), an NP must take additional steps and obtain additional governmental approvals in order to practice or prescribe medications and medical devices. Information about NP practice requirements and prescribing, are available in the NP Practice section of this web site. Questions may also be referred to the Nursing Board Office by e-mailing nursebd@nysed.gov or by calling 518-474-3817 ext. 120, or by faxing 518-474-3706.

Last Updated: September 7, 2021