Veterinary Technician License Application Forms

Instructions for completing and submitting the forms required for licensure appear below. You may also need to submit additional information (for example, examination scores). Please refer to the license requirements link on the left for complete information regarding all requirements you must meet.

Note: All forms are in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). To view or print these documents, you will need to have the free Adobe Reader External Link Icon installed on your computer. Download times and print quality will depend on your connection speed and printer.
Form 1 - Application for Licensure ( PDF 41 KB)

Important Notice: A New York State professional license is valid for life unless it is revoked, annulled, or suspended by the Board of Regents. To practice in New York State your professional license must be registered. If your registration has lapsed and you need to reregister, do not submit a Form 1. Instead, contact our customer services unit to request a Delayed Registration Application by e-mailing:, or by calling 518-474-3817 Ext. 570. When e-mailing, be sure to include your profession, license number, address on record, new address (if changed), date of birth and the last 4 digits of your SSN.

All applicants for licensure must complete this form and submit it with the $177 licensure and registration fee directly to the Office of the Professions at the mailing address at the bottom of Form 1. Make checks payable to the New York State Education Department. NOTE: Your cancelled check is your receipt.

You must answer all questions and provide all information requested unless otherwise indicated. Failure to complete all required parts of the application will delay its review. Your signature on Form 1 must be notarized by a notary public.

Address/Name Change Form - Optional ( PDF 20 KB)
You are required to notify us within 30 days of any name or address changes. Please read the instructions and complete the appropriate sections of this form.
Form 2 - Certification Of Professional Education - ( PDF 28 KB)
This form must be submitted directly by the professional school.

  • Section I: Complete this section. Be sure you sign and date item 9. Send this form to the professional school you attended and be sure to include any fee required. If your school's program is not registered by the NYS Education Department or accredited by the AVMA, notify the school that a transcript must accompany the form.
  • Section II: Ask your school to complete this section and send the form directly to the Office of the Professions at the address at the end of the form. This form must be signed by the registrar or other designated official of the school and sent to the Office of the Professions in an official school envelope. Forms returned by the applicant will not be accepted.
Form 3 - Verification of Out-Of-State Licensure, Registration, And/Or Examination - ( PDF 23 KB)
Use this form if you are or ever have been licensed in another U.S. jurisdiction
  • Section I: Complete this section and forward this form to the licensing authority of the jurisdiction in which you are licensed. Ask the licensing authority to complete Section II and submit the completed form directly to the Office of the Professions at the address at the end of the form.
  • Section II: An official from the licensing authority must complete this section and return the form directly to the Office of the Professions at the address at the end of the form.
NOTE: A separate Form 3 must be received from every state, province or country in which you are or ever have been licensed.
Form 4 - Verification of Professional Practice - ( PDF 20 KB)
This form must be submitted directly by the licensed veterinarian who completed the form.

Form 4 is necessary only for those applicants seeking licensure by endorsement. If you graduated from an accredited program and passed the VTNE, you do not have to file Form 4.

Form 5 - Application For Limited Permit - ( PDF 27 KB)
If you graduated from an accredited program, or its equivalent as determined by this Department, but have not had the opportunity to sit for the VTNE, you may be eligible for a limited permit to practice veterinary technology. If you previously failed the VTNE, you are not eligible for a limited permit.

Before your application for a limited permit can be approved you must:

  • submit Form 5 and the permit fee;
  • submit the Application for Licensure (Form 1) and the licensure application fee; and
  • have the State Education Department approve your education.

The fee for the permit is $50.

Last Updated: April 22, 2016