Law, rules and regulations, not guidelines, specify the requirements for practice and violating them constitutes professional misconduct. Not adhering to these guidelines may be interpreted as professional misconduct only if the conduct also violates pertinent law, rules and regulations, some citations of which are listed at the end of these guidelines.
Guideline 7: Pharmaceuticals
- The following should not be held or offered for sale:
- prescription medication that is returned by the client;
- adulterated and/or misbranded drugs or devices;
- drugs beyond their expiration date; and
- drugs inappropriately stored.
- Appropriate locked storage for controlled substances should be available
in accordance with DEA regulations.
- A separate refrigerator, with temperature monitoring, for proper storage of medications, laboratory kits and biologics based on the manufacturer's recommendations (separate from staff food storage) should be available.