Frequently Asked Questions

Our website provides the applications for licensure and the instructions on how to apply for a license in New York. If you have questions about topics such as:

  • The education requirements for licensure in social work
  • Registering for the licensing examination or having a score transfered to New York
  • Practice as a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
  • Changing your name or address, registering to practice in New York, or
  • Requesting the Department to send certification or verification of your New York license to another state

You should click the "Q&A" link at the bottom of this page to access our database of frequently asked questions and answers. If you cannot find your answer there, you will have the opportunity to submit a question. We hope you find this new process helpful to finding answers to your questions.

Last Updated: July 8, 2019