Social Work

Social Work News Listserve
The Office of the Professions has established a listserve to share important information about the licensure and practice of licensed master social workers (LMSWs) and licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs). In order to subscribe to this list, or to update your information, please go to: and click on the "Get Password" option. Once there, you will need to create a new account using your preferred e-mail address and a password that you choose. You can then log in and subscribe to the list and receive up-to-date information, including the new requirements for continuing education.

Connecticut law regarding social work licensure without examination does not impact New York social work licensure requirements

A recent statutory change in Connecticut law allows an individual who received a master's degree in social work on or before October 1, 2013, from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), to apply for licensure as a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) without examination before October 1, 2015. The New York State Board for Social Work has received several questions as to whether an individual licensed without examination in Connecticut could be licensed as a LMSW in New York, without meeting the examination requirement in New York law.

There is no reciprocity for a professional license as an LMSW in New York. A social worker licensed at the entry level (e.g., LMSW) in another jurisdiction, who seeks licensure in New York, must meet the same requirements as any other applicant in New York. The requirements are as follows:
  1. Submit the application for licensure (Form 1) and fee ($294);
  2. Have the graduate social work school submit Form 2 to verify completion of an MSW degree, registered by the New York State Education Department or accredited by CSWE. A graduate of any other M.S.W. program would require her/his school to submit Form 2 and an original transcript for individual evaluation to determine if the education requirements have been met, in the determination of the Department;
  3. Have the licensing authority in another jurisdiction submit verification of the applicant's license and discipline history (Form 3);
  4. Have ASWB submit verification that the applicant passed the Masters/Intermediate examination to the Department; and
  5. Complete SED-approved coursework in the identification and reporting of suspected child abuse or file the exemption.
An individual who did not pass the ASWB Masters or Intermediate examination for licensure in Connecticut or another state would have to pass the examination for licensure in New York. Such an applicant may be eligible for a limited permit (Form 5 and $70) to allow her/him up to one year to practice under the supervision of an LMSW or LCSW, licensed and registered in New York, in a setting acceptable to the Department.

You can access the licensing requirements on our web site at

Social work is a profession that helps individuals, families, and groups change behaviors, emotions, attitudes, relationships, and social conditions to restore and enhance their capacity to meet their personal and social needs.

Social workers are trained to provide a variety of services, ranging from psychotherapy to the administration of health and welfare programs. They work with human development and behavior, including the social, economic, and cultural systems in which people function.

Social workers deal with a wide variety of long and short-term mental, emotional, behavioral and environmental conditions, including:

  • mental illnesses and emotional disturbances
  • marital and family difficulties
  • adjustment problems related to acute and chronic illnesses
  • alcohol and substance abuse
  • behavioral and learning disorders of children and adolescents
  • community problems and social issues

Read more about this profession.









Last Updated: May 26, 2015