Who may lawfully provide speech services in an elementary, middle, secondary school or a preschool?

     Do you hold a teaching certificate as a TSHH (Teacher of the Speech and Hearing Handicapped)

or TSSLD (Teacher of Students with Speech and Language Disabilities)?
→ No → You should not be providing services.

It is lawful to provide services. ← Yes ← Are you an employee of the school?

(An employee is someone who has taxes withheld, whose employer pays social security tax and who gets a W-2 at the end of the year.)

It is lawful to provide services. ← Yes ← Are you a NYS licensed Speech-language pathologist or working toward completion of the 9 month experience requirement necessary for licensure?

- And -

Are you: a) on a contract with a school, or b) employed or contracting with an Agency that has a contract with a school?
→ No → It is unlawful to provide services.
Last Updated: August 26, 2010