Practice Guidelines

Title Designation

This Practice Alert is issued to ensure that the public can easily distinguish licensed professionals from applicants for licensure in New York State.

When performing the required supervised experience (§75.2 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education), an applicant for a speech-language pathology license, when representing himself or herself to the public, whether in writing or orally, should use the identifier “Speech-Language Pathology Licensure Applicant.” Similarly, during an audiology supervised experience (§75.5 of the Regulations of the Commissioner), an applicant for a license in audiology should identify himself or herself as “Audiology Licensure Applicant.”

This Practice Alert does not speak to designations permitted during a period of supervised experience undertaken to satisfy the standards of national professional associations such as the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and the American Academy of Audiology. However, all practice which takes place in the State of New York is subject to the laws, rules and regulations of the State of New York.

Previous | Contents | Next

Last Updated: May 21, 2012