Frequently Asked Questions

Introduction to Practice Questions

As a newly licensed speech-language pathologist or audiologist, you may have questions about the practice of your profession. The following section may help answer some of the most common questions. This section is based upon questions submitted to the State Board for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology by licensed speech-language pathologists and audiologists like yourself.

  1. Can a New York State licensed audiologist use the designator "AuD" after his/her name?

    Answer: An audiologist may only use the designator "AuD" if he or she has earned a clinical doctorate in audiology from a regionally-accredited college or university. The use of the title "doctor" is reserved for an individual who holds an earned doctorate from a recognized educational institution. It is unprofessional conduct for a licensee to use the title "doctor" in offering to perform professional services without also indicating the profession in which the licensee holds the doctorate.

  2. The scopes of practice for the professions of speech-language pathology and audiology are defined in the law. Does that mean that I can do everything that falls within the legal scope of practice of my profession?

    Answer: Part 29 of the Rules of the Board of Regents requires that licensees practice within their personal scope of competence. If you are not competent to provide a service that you are legally allowed to provide, then you may not provide that service. As a licensed professional, it is your responsibility to practice within the scope of your abilities and expertise. If you practice outside your personal scope of competence, you can be charged with professional misconduct.

  3. How long must I maintain patient records?

    Answer: All patient records must be kept for six years. Records for children must be kept until the child is 22, even if that means keeping the records for more than six years.

  4. May I use an "aide" or "assistant" to provide speech-language pathology or audiology services?

    Answer: New York State law restricts the practice of speech-language pathology and audiology to licensed professionals. Individuals who are not licensed may not provide speech-language pathology or audiology services. People who are employed to assist speech-language pathologists or audiologists in such activities as cleaning equipment, preparing a room for therapy, or performing secretarial duties should not be referred to as "speech aides" or "audiology aides," as these terms may be misleading to the public.

  5. Must I wear an identification badge when I am providing speech-language pathology or audiology services in a healthcare setting?

    Answer: You must wear a name tag indicating your name and your professional title if you are practicing as an employee or operator of a hospital, clinic, group practice or multi-professional facility, or at a commercial establishment offering health services to the public.

  6. What credential is required to provide speech and/or language clinical services to children?

    Answer: If you hold a certificate as a teacher of the speech and hearing handicapped, you may provide speech and/or language services as an employee of a school or center-based pre-school. To provide speech or language services independently or in a clinic, you must hold a license and current registration as a speech-language pathologist. If you contract with schools or agencies to provide clinical speech and/or language services in the schools or on an itinerant basis (i.e. you are not an employee), you must hold a speech-language pathology license and current registration as well as certification as a teacher of the speech and hearing handicapped. The table "Who may lawfully provide speech services in an elementary, middle, secondary school or a preschool?" summarizes the distinctions.

  7. Can I get a bilingual extension on my speech-language pathology license?

    Answer: No. New York State does not have specialty licensure in speech-language pathology. There is a bilingual extension available for the teaching certificate. For more information, contact the Office of Teaching Initiatives at 518-474-3901 or by E-mail at

  8. What is the continuing competency requirement and how do I meet it?

    Answer: Licensees in speech-language pathology and audiology must meet continuing competency requirements in each three-year registration cycle. You must complete 30 hours of continuing competency learning activities. Please refer to Continuing Competency - Questions and Answers for Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists for the specifics of this requirement.

  9. Do I need to apply for a Limited License in Speech-Language Pathology?

    Answer: No. A Limited License in Speech-Language Pathology is optional. This Limited License was created for settings that require direct billing to Medicare programs. Not all settings require direct billing. A limited license is available to any qualified person engaging in clinical or academic practice under the supervision of a licensed speech‐language pathologist for such period of time as may be necessary to complete an experience requirement for a professional license as a speech‐language pathologist. There is a fee of $70 to apply for a Limited License. The Limited License is valid for 1 (one) year from the date of approval.

  10. If I have additional questions, where can I find more information?

    Answer: You can write to:

    The New York State Board for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
    89 Washington Avenue
    Albany, New York 12234-1000

    Or call 518-474-3817 ext. 100, fax 518-473-0532, or e-mail

  11. Can Clinical Simulations (CS) be used to fulfill experience requirements?

    Answer: Yes, Clinical Simulations (CS) may be used, in part, to fulfill the experiential requirement for direct clinical contact for licensure as a Speech-Language Pathologist or Audiologist, provided that the supervisor is certified by the Council for Academic Accreditation (CAA), an affiliate of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). CS may be used for up to 75 hours of experience for Speech-Language Pathologist and 10% for Audiologist.

Last Updated: July 16, 2021