Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology

Keturah Perkins-Trembley of the State Board for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology discusses NYS licensure and ASHA certification - May 17, 2012

Link to Video Transcript

A speech-language pathologist is a licensed health care professional who diagnoses, evaluates, and treats disorders of speech, voice, swallowing, and/or language.

Speech-language pathologists treat communication problems in infants, children, adolescents and adults. You might consult a speech-language pathologist to help....

  • someone with a speech impairment, such as stuttering, slurred speech, or voice problems;
  • someone whose speech or language has been affected by a stroke or head injury;
  • someone whose speech has been affected by surgery;
  • someone with a swallowing disorder.

You might use the services of a speech-language pathologist for a child if. . . .

  • you have difficulty understanding what the child is trying to say;
  • you think the child is speaking differently from children of the same age;
  • the child has difficulty telling you what he or she wants; or
  • the child has difficulty understanding what people are saying.

Read more about this profession.

Last Updated: April 21, 2014