Frequently Asked Questions

General Practice | Grandparenting Provisions

General Practice:

  1. By what date must currently practicing Polysomnographic Technologists obtain the appropriate authorization to practice?

Polysomnographic technology cannot be performed by anyone who is not authorized after February 3, 2016. Therefore, individuals must obtain their authorization prior to this date in order to continue to provide polysomnographic technology services or use the title “Authorized Polysomnographic Technologist”.

  1. Is authorization the same as a license?

    Generally, yes.  Polysomnographic Technologists are the 49th profession licensed by the NY State Education Department.  Authorized polysomnographic technologists are subject to the full disciplinary and regulatory authority of the Board of Regents and the Department.  The State Board for Respiratory Therapy is responsible for oversight.

  2. Must a RT/RTT seek authorization as a PSGT if they wish to perform polysomnographic technology services?

    No.  Polysomnographic technology is within the current scope of practice for respiratory therapists and respiratory therapy technicians.  They do not need authorization to perform polysomnographic technology. However, they must be competent to offer these services.

  3. What credentialing exam is acceptable for authorization?

    The Department has determined that the RPSGT exam offered by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT) is acceptable for authorization.

  4. Must all applicants, regardless of the pathway chosen for authorization, pay the $600 fee?

    Yes, the $600 fee is set in statute and covers the license and the first three-year registration cycle.  Thereafter, the triennial re-registration fee is $300.

Grandparenting Provisions:

  1. The regulations indicate that there are special provisions for authorization and that they will continue if there are not four licensure-qualifying educational programs in place on February 3, 2014.  What does that mean?

    In order to ensure that there is a sufficient workforce available, the regulations specify special grandparenting provisions for licensure for a limited time period.  Because four licensure-qualifying programs are not yet in place, the Department has extended the grandparenting period (using specified criteria) until February 3, 2016.

  2. What are the "special grandparenting provisions"?

    Until February 3, 2016, you can apply to be authorized to practice polysomnographic technology without satisfying the education requirements if you are:

    • at least 18 years of age;
    • of good moral character;
    • able to document that you hold the RPSGT certification; and
    • able to document that you have practiced polysomnographic technology under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician for at least 21 clinical hours/week for not less than 18 months in the previous 3 years.

  3. How do I apply under the special grandparenting provisions?

    You must complete and submit Form 1 and Form 4 with the required $600 fee to the Office of the Professions. Complete Section 1 of Form 4A and give the entire form to your supervisor(s) to complete. The supervisor(s) must submit Form 4A directly to the Office of the Professions – we cannot accept this form from the applicant. If you are licensed in another jurisdiction, you must also complete Section 1 of Form 3 and send it to that licensing jurisdiction for completion. The licensing jurisdiction must submit the form directly to the Office of the Professions – we cannot accept this form from the applicant.

  4. Under the special grandparenting provision, can the experience as a sleep technologist be completed just prior to the February 3, 2016 deadline? Likewise, can the national certification be obtained just prior to the February 3, 2016 deadline?

    Experience is acceptable as long as it meets the criteria outlined in regulation and is completed prior to the deadline.  The national RPSGT certification can be obtained any time prior to application for those seeking licensure through the grandparenting route that requires 18 months of experience and the national credential.

  5. If I begin work now in a sleep lab, will I be able to obtain my authorization under the grandparenting provisions?

    Anyone who began work after May 3, 2014 is unlikely to meet the criteria for grandparenting, which requires a minimum of 18 months of experience.  If the grandparenting provisions are extended past February 3, 2016, because there are not yet four licensure-qualifying programs registered by the Department, it is possible that some individuals hired after the May 3, 2014 date would be able to accrue sufficient experience for authorization, but there is no guarantee that the date will be extended.  As such, employees and employers are cautioned that such employees are at risk and will not be able to provide these services after the expiration of the grandparenting period without authorization.

Last Updated: October 28, 2015