A podiatrist is a doctor of podiatric medicine (DPM) who is a licensed health care professional who diagnoses, treats, operates and prescribes for any disease, injury, deformity, or other condition of the foot.
Podiatrists can treat any condition of the feet, such as the following:
- injuries to bones (including fractures), tendons and soft tissue
- foot problems resulting from illness such as diabetes, arthritis, AIDS, and cardiovascular diseases
- bacterial and fungal infections
- skin and nail disorders
- benign and cancerous tumors
- congenital and acquired foot deformities