License Application Forms
Note: All forms are in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). To view or print these documents, you will need to have the free Adobe Reader installed on your computer. Download times and print quality will depend on your connection speed and printer.
- Applicant Checklist ( 23 KB)
You may print and keep this checklist as a reminder of what forms you have filed and when you filed them. This is for your reference and should not be submitted with your application forms. You should also keep a copy of all application forms submitted.
- Form 1 - Application for Licensure and First Registration ( 40 KB)
Important Notice: A New York State professional license is valid for life unless it is revoked, annulled, or suspended by the Board of Regents. To practice in New York State your professional license must be registered. If your registration has lapsed and you need to reregister, do not submit a Form 1. Instead, contact our customer services unit to request a Delayed Registration Application by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 518-474-3817 Ext. 570. When e-mailing, be sure to include your profession, license number, address on record, new address (if changed), date of birth and the last 4 digits of your SSN.
All applicants applying for licensure through endorsement or applying for the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and the Principles and Practice (PE) exam or the PE exam only must complete this form and submit it with the appropriate fee ($377) directly to the Office of the Professions at the mailing address at the end of Form 1. Make checks payable to the New York State Education Department. NOTE: Your cancelled check is your receipt.
All applicants applying for the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam only that are NOT from a baccalaureate EAC or ETAC ABET accredited program must complete this form and submit it with the appropriate fee ($70 only) directly to the Office of the Professions at the mailing address at the end of Form 1. Make checks payable to the New York State Education Department. NOTE: Your cancelled check is your receipt.
- You must answer all questions and provide all information requested unless otherwise indicated. Failure to complete all required parts of the application will delay its review. Your signature on Form 1 must be notarized by a notary public.
- Form 1IE - Application for Intern Engineer Certificate ( 25 KB)
Use this form to apply for a New York State Intern Engineer Certificate. Qualifications for NYS Intern Engineer Certificate may be found on our web site under License Requirements.Applicants must complete this form and submit it with the appropriate fee ($70 only) directly to the Office of the Professions at the mailing address at the end of the Form. Make checks payable to the New York State Education Department. NOTE: Your cancelled check is your receipt.
- Address/Name Change Form - Optional ( 20 KB)
- You are required to notify us within 30 days of any name or address changes. Please read the instructions and complete the appropriate sections of this form.
- Form 2 - Certification of Professional Education ( 22 KB)
- This form must be submitted directly by the educational institution.
The Office of the Professions will not accept this form if submitted
by the applicant.
- Section I: Complete this section and be sure to sign and date item 9.
- Section II: Send this to the educational institution(s) you attended and ask that they return it directly to the Office of the Professions.
Please note: If you attended or graduated from a program that is NOT ABET-accredited and/or if you attended a graduate program, ask your school to attach an official transcript or marksheet.
- Form 3 - Verification of Out-of-State Licensure, Registration and/or Examination ( 25 KB)
- This form must be submitted directly by the licensing authority.
Use this form to verify that you passed the Fundamentals of Engineering examination and/or the Principles and Practice of Engineering examination in another jurisdiction or to verify licensure and current registration in another jurisdiction.
- Section I: Complete this section and be sure to sign and date item 8.
- Section II: Send this to the jurisdiction(s) in which you are licensed or wish to have examination grades transferred from and ask that they complete this section and return the form directly to the Office of the Professions.
- Form 4 - Report
of Professional Experience ( 23 KB)
- Form 4A - Verification of Professional Experience (Print as many as needed) ( 25 KB)
- Instructions For Completing Report of Professional Experience and Verification of Professional Experience 4 and 4A | PDF ( 19 KB). See these instructions for additional information to document your engineering experience.
- Form 5 - Notification of Intent to Practice Professional Engineering Under Section 7208(b) of Education Law ( 14 KB)
- Endorsement Applicants only
Use this form only if you wish to engage in interim practice while your application for licensure is being reviewed and you:
- are not a resident of New York State, or
- have no established place of practice in this State, or
- are a resident of this State, but have arrived only within the past six months
You must have filed an application for licensure as a professional engineer in New York and must be legally qualified to practice in the state or country in which you currently reside or have a place of practice, or in your previous residence or place of practice. Interim practice will only be approved for a limited time to allow the Department time to review your application for licensure. If you are approved to practice for an interim period, you will not be allowed to claim or in any way state that you are providing services as a professional engineer licensed in New York State.
New York State Institutions/Schools
This form is for use by New York State Institutions/Schools only. Not to be used by individuals. This form must be submitted directly by the educational institution. The Office of Professions will not accept this form if submitted by the applicant.
- Form 20F - Certification of Completion of a Professionally Registered Program in Engineering ( 27 KB)
- For use by New York State Institutions with EAC/ABET accredited programs in engineering only. This form may be used by schools in lieu of individual Form 2s for students who have graduated from an EAC/ABET baccalaureate program in engineering that qualifies them, after successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination, for a Certificate as an "Intern Engineer".