30 Day Limited Permits for Professional Engineers & Land Surveyors
The New York State Education Department can issue a 30 Day Limited Permit to qualified individuals seeking to practice as professional engineers or land surveyors in New York State in accordance with Section 7207 of the Education Law. (See page 2 of the application for text of the law.) Limited permit holders are permitted to practice no more than 30 days in any calendar year. Limited permits are only available to applicants who:
- are legally qualified to practice engineering or land surveying in his/her own state or country,
- are not residents of New York State, and
- do not have an established place of practice in New York State.
Your practice of engineering or land surveying in New York State under a Limited Permit must be:
- as an individual, or;
- as an employee of a business entity authorized to provide professional engineering or land surveying services in New York State. Your firm must have been issued a Certificate of Authorization from the New York State Education Department. If your firm is not authorized to provide engineering and/or land surveying services in New York State, the contract with a New York client must be between you (i.e. the individual licensee), and the client and not the corporate employer and the client.
- 30 Day Limited Permit Application ( 418 KB)