New York State Nursing Education
Scholarships, Grants & Loans
Grants, scholarships and awards for students who are entering the nursing field for study as registered professional nurses are available at local, State and Federal levels. Such funding is available from private foundations, institutions and colleges of higher education with nursing programs, the New State Education Department, and from the United States government. The following sites have been found to be particularly useful:
- The New York State Association of Health Care Providers announces the Edna A. Lauterbach Scholarship Fund for New York State nurses is now accepting applications. The scholarship is designed to assist registered nurses and licensed practical nurses with training or education that will enhance the nurse's skills in either the clinical or business area.
- New York State Higher Education Services Corporation includes pertinent information for both students and guidance counselors and can be accessed at the following link: www.hesc.org. Interested parties are encouraged to review sections on Grants, Scholarships, and Awards Quick Reference on the HESC website.
- For New York State Education Department scholarship and loan information please call (518) 486-1319, the Loan Forgiveness Program at (518) 474-4128 or see the Department's Pre-Collegiate Preparation & Scholarships page .
- Federal Student Aid (FSA) is funding available to eligible Americans from the federal government for education beyond high school. Available aid includes scholarships, grants, work-study programs, and loans. You can apply by filing out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form at www.fafsa.ed.gov .
- Fastweb scholarship search www.fastweb.com is a comprehensive source of local and national college-specific scholarships.
Special Purpose Funds for Graduate Nursing Education
- New York State Nursing Faculty Scholarship Program(Senator Patricia K. Magee Scholarship )
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholars Program (2008). Administered by the national program office of the of the RWJF Nurse Faculty Scholars Program at John Hopkins University School of Nursing
- The Jonas Center for Nursing Excellence. The Jonas Nursing Scholars Program will fund five doctoral students over four years, supporting tuition and living stipends in the form of forgivable loans at academic institutions as a way to stimulate new models for joint clinical-faculty appointments - a move aimed at retaining qualified nursing educators. www.jonascenter .org
- Northeast New York Organization of Nurse Executives (NENYONE) Scholarship to support members who seek higher education. Email: email@example.com
- The American Cancer Society (ACS), the largest not-for-profit funding source for cancer research and training, invites applications from master's and doctoral students for support of graduate study. ACS is offering scholarships ranging from $10,000-$15,000 .