Practice Information

Prescription Privileges

Source & Date: New York State Nursing Board Office - February, 2013

After the New York State Education Department issues you a certificate to practice as a nurse practitioner (NP), you must complete the tasks below in order to prescribe medications.

  • Obtain a National Provider Identifier (NPI) issued by the US Center for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS)

Federal law requires that health care providers (including NPs) use NPIs on electronic health care transactions (i.e., processing claims, status inquiries, eligibility inquiries). For more about applying for a NPI, visit:  Applications can be submitted online or by regular mail.

  • Obtain a Federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Number issued by the US Department of Justice- Drug Enforcement Administration

An NP must obtain a DEA number in order to prescribe or dispense controlled substances. For more about applying for a DEA number, visit or call 1-877-883-5789, 1-800-882-9539 or 212-337-1593.  The mailing address for the US Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration is:  99 Tenth Avenue, New York, NY 10011.

  • Obtain New York State Official Prescription Forms or authorization to prescribe controlled substances from the New York State Department of Health

An NP must obtain official prescription forms to prescribe controlled substances.  For more information about obtaining official prescription forms, contact the New York State Department of Health Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement by telephone 866-811-7957 or 518-402-0708, or check the New York State Department of Health website. 

Last Updated: January 30, 2017