Regulations of the Commissioner
Section 52.35, Psychoanalysis
In addition to meeting all applicable provisions of this Part, to be registered as a program recognized as leading to licensure in psychoanalysis, which meets the requirements of section 79-12.1 of this Title, the program shall meet the requirements of this section.
- The program shall be offered by a psychoanalytic institute chartered by the Board of Regents, or an institution authorized by its charter or by authorization of the Board of Regents to confer degrees in New York State. The program shall lead to a certificate of completion, which shall be conferred upon students who successfully complete the program.
- In order to be admitted into the program, the program shall require the student to have completed a master's or higher degree program in any field registered by the department pursuant to this Part, or a substantially equivalent program.
- The course of study shall include coursework substantially
equivalent to coursework required in a master's degree program
in a health or mental health field of study. The course of study
shall include a total of at least 1,350 clock hours of study,
distributed as set forth in this subdivision in the following
four categories: coursework, personal psychoanalysis, supervised
analysis, and clinical experience.
- Coursework. The program shall include at least 45 clock
hours of classroom instruction in each of the following
areas, totaling at least 405 clock hours of classroom instruction:
- personality development;
- psychoanalytic theory of psychopathology;
- psychoanalytic theory of psychodiagnosis;
- sociocultural influence on growth and psychopathology;
- practice technique (including dreams and symbolic processes);
- analysis of resistance, transference, and countertransference;
- case seminars on clinical practice;
- practice in psychopathology and psychodiagnosis; and
- professional ethics and psychoanalytic research methodology.
- Personal psychoanalysis. The program shall require the student to complete at least 300 clock hours of personal psychoanalysis.
- Supervised analysis. The program shall include at least
150 clock hours of supervised analysis of the student's
psychoanalytic cases. The supervised analysis shall include:
- 50 clock hours of individual supervision with one supervisor working on one case; and
- at least 100 clock hours of individual supervision with another supervisor working on one or more additional cases.
- Clinical experience. The program shall require the student to complete at least 300 clock hours of supervised clinical experience in the practice of psychoanalysis, as defined in section 8405(1) of the Education Law. The clinical experience shall meet the requirements set forth in section 79-12.3 of this Title. In addition, if the setting for the clinical experience is not within the institution offering the program itself, a written contract or agreement shall be executed between the institution and clinical facility which is designated to cooperate in providing the clinical experience, which shall set forth the responsibilities of each party, and shall be signed by the responsible officer of each party.
- Coursework. The program shall include at least 45 clock hours of classroom instruction in each of the following areas, totaling at least 405 clock hours of classroom instruction: