License Application Forms
Note: All forms are in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). To view or print these documents, you will need to have the free Adobe Reader installed on your computer. Download times and print quality will depend on your connection speed and printer.
- Form 1 - Application for Licensure ( 26 KB)
Important Notice: A New York State professional license is valid for life unless it is revoked, annulled, or suspended by the Board of Regents. To practice in New York State your professional license must be registered. If your registration has lapsed and you need to reregister, do not submit a Form 1. Instead, contact the Registration and Fees Unit to request a Delayed Registration Application by e-mailing: OPREGFEE@mail.nysed.gov, or by calling 518-474-3817 Ext. 410. When e-mailing, be sure to include your profession, license number, address on record, new address (if changed), date of birth and the last 4 digits of your SSN.
- All applicants for licensure must complete this form and submit it
with the appropriate licensure and registration fee (see Fees section)
directly to the Office of the Professions at the mailing address at
the end of Form 1. Make checks payable to the New York State Education
Department. Your cancelled check is your receipt. You must answer all
questions and provide all information requested unless otherwise indicated.
Failure to complete all required parts of the application will delay
its review. Your signature on Form 1 must be notarized by a Notary
In item 6, check one box. If you are licensed in another jurisdiction on the basis of an NCARB exam, you will be applying via either NCARB Certification or endorsement. If licensed outside of the U.S. without an NCARB exam, check "10 years as principal."
If you are applying for a limited permit, check the appropriate box, complete this form and Form 3, and forward a specific description of the project including:
- scope of project;
- approximate size;
- location of project including address (street and number, lot number, or other definite location information); and
- name and address of client.
NOTE: Be sure to include the appropriate fee with your Form 1.
- Address/Name Change Form - Optional ( 20 KB)
- You are required to notify us within 30 days of any name or address changes.
Please read the instructions and complete the appropriate sections of this
- Form 2 - Certification of Professional Education ( 16 KB)
- Use this form ONLY if you were educated outside the U.S. or were licensed
in another jurisdiction prior to September 1, 1999. For those licensed
after September 1,1999 transcripts will be included in the IDP record.
This form must be submitted directly by the educational institution(s) you attended.
- Section I: Complete this section of the form before sending it to your school.
- Section II: The Registrar or appropriate school official
must complete this section and return the form directly to
the Office of the Professions at the address at the end of
the form together with an official transcript. Transcripts
are required from each school attended.
- Form 3 - Verification of Out-of-State Licensure, Registration and/or Examination ( 21 KB)
- NOTE: This form is for examination
applicants seeking to transfer examination credit from another jurisdiction
or those seeking licensure via endorsement.
This form must be submitted directly by the licensing authority.
- Section I: Complete this section of the form before sending it to the jurisdiction.
- Section II: The jurisdiction must complete this section and return the
form directly to the Office of the Professions at the address at the end
of the form.
- Form 4 - Applicant Experience Record ( 19 KB)
- You must provide one form from each location where you have worked and
for which you are seeking credit. If the required amount of experience
has been obtained in one place, only one form is needed. The person under
whose direction you were working should complete the form and send it directly
to the return address on the form. Make copies of this form if you need
them for additional work locations.
This form must be submitted directly by your employers. It will not be accepted if you submit it.
NOTE: If you were licensed between 1972 and 1982 on the basis of the NCARB Professional Exam only and did not attempt the Equivalency Exam or the Qualifying Test, as were required in New York, use these forms to document at least 3 years of prelicensure experience and at least 5 years of postlicensure experience.
If licensed on the basis of the full NCARB Exam, see "Education and Experience Requirements" section for the amount of experience to be documented, based upon the education received.