License Application Forms

Important Notice: If you were ever licensed in New York State STOP. A New York State professional license is valid for life unless it is revoked, annulled, or suspended by the Board of Regents. To practice in New York State your professional license must be registered. If your registration has lapsed and you need to reregister, do not submit a Form 1. Instead, contact us to request a Delayed Registration Application, or by calling 518-474-3817 Ext. 570.

Form 1 - Application for Licensure ( PDF 26 KB)
All applicants for licensure must complete this form and submit it with the appropriate licensure and registration fee (see Fees section) directly to the Office of the Professions at the mailing address at the end of Form 1. Make checks payable to the New York State Education Department. Your cancelled check is your receipt. You must answer all questions and provide all information requested unless otherwise indicated. Failure to complete all required parts of the application will delay its review. Your signature on Form 1 must be notarized by a Notary Public.

In item 6, check one box. If you are licensed in another jurisdiction on the basis of an NCARB exam, you will be applying via either NCARB Certification or endorsement. If licensed outside of the U.S. without an NCARB exam, check "10 years as principal."

If you are applying for a limited permit, check the appropriate box, complete this form and Form 3, and forward a specific description of the project including:

  • scope of project;
  • approximate size;
  • location of project including address (street and number, lot number, or other definite location information); and
  • name and address of client.

NOTE: Be sure to include the appropriate fee with your Form 1.

Address/Name Change Form - Optional ( PDF 20 KB)
You are required to notify us within 30 days of any name or address changes. Please read the instructions and complete the appropriate sections of this form.

Form 2 - Certification of Professional Education ( PDF 16 KB)
Use this form ONLY if you were educated outside the U.S. or were licensed in another jurisdiction prior to September 1, 1999. For those licensed after September 1,1999 transcripts will be included in the IDP record.

This form must be submitted directly by the educational institution(s) you attended.

  • Section I: Complete this section of the form before sending it to your school.
  • Section II: The Registrar or appropriate school official must complete this section and return the form directly to the Office of the Professions at the address at the end of the form together with an official transcript. Transcripts are required from each school attended.

Form 3 - Verification of Out-of-State Licensure, Registration and/or Examination ( PDF 21 KB)
NOTE: This form is for examination applicants seeking to transfer examination credit from another jurisdiction or those seeking licensure via endorsement.

This form must be submitted directly by the licensing authority.

  • Section I: Complete this section of the form before sending it to the jurisdiction.
  • Section II: The jurisdiction must complete this section and return the form directly to the Office of the Professions at the address at the end of the form.

Form 4 - Applicant Experience Record ( PDF 19 KB)
You must provide one form from each location where you have worked and for which you are seeking credit. If the required amount of experience has been obtained in one place, only one form is needed. The person under whose direction you were working should complete the form and send it directly to the return address on the form. Make copies of this form if you need them for additional work locations.

This form must be submitted directly by your employers. It will not be accepted if you submit it.

NOTE: If you were licensed between 1972 and 1982 on the basis of the NCARB Professional Exam only and did not attempt the Equivalency Exam or the Qualifying Test, as were required in New York, use these forms to document at least 3 years of prelicensure experience and at least 5 years of postlicensure experience.

If licensed on the basis of the full NCARB Exam, see "Education and Experience Requirements" section for the amount of experience to be documented, based upon the education received.

Last Updated: July 25, 2018