Certification Of Physicians and Dentists to Use Acupuncture
Acupuncture Certification Requirements
New York State licensed physicians and dentists who use acupuncture in their professional practice must be certified. This site includes the forms and instructions you need to apply for the appropriate certificate.
To be certified to use acupuncture in New York State you must:
- be a New York State licensed physician or dentist currently registered to practice
- meet additional education and training requirements
You must submit an application for certification and any other forms indicated, along with the appropriate fee, to the Office of the Professions of the New York State Education Department at the address specified on each form. It is your responsibility to follow up with anyone you have asked to send us material.
The specific requirements for certification are contained in Parts 60.9 and 59.9(e) of the Commissioner's Regulations.
The fee for an acupuncture certificate is $150.00.
Fees are subject to change. The fee due is the one in law when your application is received (unless fees are increased retroactively). You will be billed for the difference if fees have been increased.
- Do not send cash.
- Make your personal check or money order payable to the New York State Education Department.* Your cancelled check is your receipt.
- Mail your application and fee to:
NYS Education Department
Office of the Professions
PO Box 22063
Albany, NY 12201.
*PLEASE NOTE: Payment submitted from outside the United States should be made by check or draft on a United States bank and in United States currency; payments submitted in any other form will not be accepted and will be returned.
Individuals who withdraw their certificate application may be entitled to a partial refund.
- For the procedure to withdraw your application, contact the State Board for Medicine at email@example.com or by calling (518) 474-3817 ext. 560 or by fax at: (518) 486-4846.
If you withdraw your application, obtain a refund, and then decide to seek New York State certification at a later date, you will be considered a new applicant, and you will be required to pay the certification fees and meet the certification requirements in place at the time you reapply.
Applicants must have completed:
- At least 200 hours of instruction in programs in acupuncture registered by the Department, or in programs determined by the Department to be the equivalent of registered programs, and
- At least 100 hours of supervised experience acceptable to the Department.
Instruction should consist of:
- At least 100 hours of instruction and clinical demonstrations in general and basic aspects of acupuncture.
- At least 100 hours of sequential specialized instruction in specific uses and techniques of acupuncture. Topics of instruction shall include: indications and contraindications for acupuncture administration, techniques for locating acupuncture points, needling and stimulating techniques, trainee participation in administration of acupuncture in clinical demonstrations;
- At least 100 hours of supervised experience acceptable to the Department and under the supervision of a currently registered physician or dentist certified in acupuncture.
Physicians and dentists who wish to practice acupuncture may do so only after certification has been obtained from the Department.
Registered Programs for Certification in Acupuncture for Licensed Physicians and Dentists.
American College of Acupuncture
c/o Dr. Peter Teng, Secretary/Treasurer
1021 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10028
Tel: (212) 876-9781
Fax: (212) 427-9232
Web site: www.acupuncturesociety.com
The International College of Acupuncture & Electro
c/o Y. Omura, M.D., Sc.D.
800 Riverside Drive. 8-I.
New York. N.Y. 10032
Tel: (212) 781-6262
Fax: (212) 923-2279
Web site: www.geocities.com/icaet/contact.html
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Office of Continuing Medical Education
450 Clarkson Avenue, Box 1244
Brooklyn, NY 11203
Tel: (718) 270-2422
Fax: (718) 270-4563
Web site: www.hscbklyn.edu/
Tri-State College of Acupuncture
80 8th Avenue, Fourth Floor
New York, NY 10011
Tel: (212) 242-2255
Fax: (212) 242-2920
Web site: www.tsca.edu/